Throwback Thursday: EDM, Pot, and the Molly Brown House

Meeting my wife has taught me many things, but one of those lessons is that the phrase "Opposites attract" is certainly not just talking about magnets. I could go on about the ways in which we differ, but that's not what this post is about. This is about one of the times that our differences led us into a hilarious situation.

Aside from our honeymoon, we decided that we were going to take two other short trips last year. My wife chose the one and I chose the other. She chose a trip to Colorado to see Big Gigantic in concert at the Red Rocks, while I chose a trip to Disney World. Since we ended up buying a house and my parents had promised us a trip to LA (and Disneyland) over New Year's, we decided to skip out on the Disney trip. My wife felt bad that we couldn't do the trip that I wanted, so she wanted to make Colorado as exciting as she could for me. When we arrived and I realized that the "Unsinkable Molly Brown House" was just a few minutes from where we were staying, my nerdy titanic loving heart decided that's what I wanted to do and my wife readily agreed (simply because she wanted to make me happy).

Before going, we had a few stops to make. The first was for lunch, where we somehow found a pub that literally might have jacked the music from my phone (countless OG Taylor Swift, with Sara Bareilles, Rachel Platten, The Band Perry, and Colby Caillat mixed in). The next stop was the dispensary, which was a new experience for both of us. Let me add a little side note here. I'd like to think I was every parent's dream child growing up. I was involved in SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) Club and Bible Club in high school, never went to parties, and was legitimately terrified to do anything wrong. This trend pretty much continued through college as well, so naturally, I never smoked pot. Once I realized that "Never have I ever smoked pot" was a great weapon to have during Kings (the drinking game..I know everyone's rules vary, but in our version Jack is a round of Never Have I Ever), I decided I would never smoke it. That, along with the fact that I had no idea how my body would react, were the reasons I was going to let my wife do this alone. My wife, who hadn't smoked any pot in the 5 years we had been together and had never had any edible variety, purchased a chocolate bar.

Listening to the instructions of the dispensary worker, she only ate a little piece of chocolate before heading to the Molly Brown House. As warned, she didn't feel any immediate effects and wondered when it would kick in. As we started our tour of the house that Molly Brown and her family spent 30+ years in, I was immediately enthralled. As mentioned, I'm a complete nerd, so hearing about the history of the house and her family was my form of a high. About thirty minutes into the one hour tour, I turned to my wife to see what she thought about the exciting fact that had just been thrown at us. Upon looking at her, I immediately realized that the high had hit and it wasn't the type of high that you want to experience while in an old, overcrowded, air conditioning-free house.

My wife was a trooper though. She stuck it out for me. She trudged up all three stories of the old Victorian house. She did her best to act interested in what was being said. In addition, she and the 80 year old man who was also on the tour with us, sat down together in every single room. Seeing my high as a kite wife sitting next to an old man with an oxygen tank and struggling significantly more than him as her glazed eyes stared into space, may have been my favorite part of the tour (which is saying a lot since I legitimately loved it).

So, let this be a lesson to all of you: It is not in your best interest to do a tour of the Molly Brown House while high. But then again, as my brother so eloquently put it when I told him this story, there is no way he would do the tour if he wasn't high as a kite. To each their own...

My links:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TuesGay Spotlight: Cheyenne Blue

Writing My Own Story

Rain On Your Wedding Day