Throwback Thursday: Look Honey! It’s My Wedding Dress!

One of the most exciting parts of wedding planning was finding the perfect dress. I knew I had found my dream wedding dress the moment I put it on. Of course, my mom made me try on about a thousand more before I could decide that it was the one. But in the end, I went with that first dress I tried on. 

Every time I went in for a fitting and put the dress back on, I dreamed about the moment that I would see my wife walking down the aisle toward me, both in our white dresses. We decided not to tell each other anything about our dresses and that the first time we would see them was when we were about to get married. 

But there was something else that would happen every time I went to a dress fitting - my mom and I would argue about whether I should wear a veil. I had no interest in it. I knew Michelle wasn’t wearing one and I also didn’t like that it would cover the back of my dress (which was my favorite part) and, oh I don’t know, it was my wedding so I figured that was my choice. “Of course it’s your choice,” my mom would tell me every single time, while she signaled for one of the bridal shop workers to grab it for me to try just “one more time.” Then she would start to cry, tell me how beautiful I looked, and say “This would make all of my dreams come true,” at which point I would just roll my eyes again. This was followed by her reminding me that she didn’t get to wear a veil at her wedding and me replying, “You can wear one when you renew your vows!” 

And so it went... Every. Single. Time. I believe it was either my last dress fitting or second to last dress fitting when I had enough and told my mom I was texting my best friend to see what her thoughts were. My mom listens to everything she says, so I knew she could talk some sense into her. My mom thought it was a great idea and asked me to send a picture so she could see how beeeeaaaaautiful I looked. 

So, I scrolled through my phone and looked for the chat that had me, my mom, and my best friend in it, then sent the picture with some comment about how she needed to tell my mom I shouldn’t have to wear a veil. About a minute later, I looked down at my phone to see if it sent and realized that I hadn’t sent the picture to the chat with my best friend in it. I had sent the picture to the chat WITH MY WIFE. I’m not sure of exactly what happened next (it was traumatic, so it is a big blur), but I’m pretty sure it involved a major flip out, everyone in the bridal shop finding out I had just sent my future bride that picture, and me yelling something like, “This is all the veil’s fault!! There is NO WAY I am wearing that now.” 

Luckily, I was also quick on my feet and thought of a plan. I sent a thousand messages after that one telling her not to scroll up and to just delete the text thread all together (see portion below). After about five minutes, I still hadn’t heard back so I tried to call her. No answer. I texted just her and tried to explain exactly what happened, but in my stressed state, I’m not sure if I was making much sense. 

I called a few more times and finally, she picked up. Before she could even say anything, I began screaming into the phone. “Babe! Did you see anything? Ugh please tell me you didn’t. Oh my God. Did you see the picture? That stupid veil.” 

Obviously unaware of how dire this situation was, my wife calmly replied, “Babe calm down. If you don’t want to wear a veil, you shouldn’t have to. Just tell your mom that. She needs to understand.” 

My anxiety skyrocketed with her relaxed tone. “I don’t care about the veil right now! Just tell me if you saw the picture!!” 

“What picture?” The sincerity in my wife’s voice told me that she wasn’t just playing around and she still had no idea what I was talking about. 

“I accidentally sent a picture of me in my wedding dress to the chat with you and my mom in it. I need you to delete that chat,” I informed her. 

“I can’t delete that chat. There might be important wedding stuff in there!” 

“Yes, there is important wedding stuff in there LIKE MY DRESS. Delete that now.” 

“Ok fine. I’ll delete it,” my wife conceded. 

I let out a relieved sigh. “Thank you. I’ll talk to you later.” 

“Haha alright babe. Have fun. You’re an idiot by the way,” my life laughed as she hung up the phone. 

She’s right. I am an idiot, but I’m the idiot that she agreed to marry and that fact makes me the happiest idiot in the world. Plus, there was a bonus: the great text message slip of 2018 caused my mom to drop the veil fight (for the most part). 



One last note: I did end up surprising my mom by wearing a veil on my wedding day… to the after party at the hotel bar… with a full white sweatsuit, because family, just like marriage, all about compromise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TuesGay Spotlight: Cheyenne Blue

Writing My Own Story

Rain On Your Wedding Day