Rain On Your Wedding Day

It was a picturesque spring day on May 27, 2018 when two perfectly poised brides to be gracefully prepped themselves for the wedding they had always dreamed of - one filled with flowers, beautiful veils, and an elegant first dance. Ha! Yeah right. If that was really how my life went, why would anyone want to read this blog? Ok... let’s be honest, you probably still don’t really want to read this blog, but it’s at least good for a ‘glad it wasn’t me’ or ‘hey I’m not the only one’ laugh.

Let’s start from the beginning and tell you how this rainy day in May actually went. You know the age old saying ‘April showers bring May flowers?’ That didn’t happen this year, as proven by the fact that there was probably more rain the week of our wedding than all of April. I guess you could say one positive would be the lack of May flowers though since the presence of any real flowers at our wedding would have killed my highly allergic, highly asthmatic bride (although that didn’t stop my mom from trying to convince us to have flowers that had the potential of killing her future daughter-in-law). 



The words “perfectly poised” might have been an exaggeration as well, but come on, who hasn’t had multiple people suggest that it’s probably for the best that they take an Ativan so they can actually enjoy their wedding day? The amount of times I had to hear “Be happy. This is the best day of your life” was almost as exhausting as the crippling anxiety I was experiencing. “What do you mean? I am happy. This is me excited,” I remarked, while taking a large sip of my mimosa to down said medicine. 



Let’s fast forward to about an hour before our outdoor ceremony when one of our wedding planners came in and asked if we wanted to move the wedding inside. Of course not. The scenery outside is beautiful and we already paid extra to have it out there. “By the way,” she added, “Your DJ mentioned that if his equipment gets wet during the ceremony, he might not be able to do the reception.” Inside it is. 

So, now it was time to get all set up for the indoor ceremony, which involved getting our chinchilla ready to be pulled down the aisle. Let me tell you something about Phil the chinchilla, big brother to Jett the bunny. He is loved by many. Let me tell you something else. None of those people are in my immediate family. As my wife-to-be yelled down from the 2nd floor of our two story hotel room (our way of getting ready in the same area without seeing each other) for me to make sure all of the poop was cleaned out of the chinchilla’s crate, my mom immediately made a face and warned me that I better not touch any of that poop after being all made up for my wedding. She then insisted that there wasn’t any poop in there. Like clockwork, my cute little four year old niece took this opportunity to look into his crate, scrunch up her nose, and say “Ew look at all the poop!”




With the chinchilla crate nice and poop free, we all headed downstairs to line up for the ceremony. As we waited, I noticed that my four year old nephew (our ring bearer) refused to hold onto the “ring holder.” Instead of a pillow, we decided to get creative and had ordered a wood slice that was personalized with our initials and wedding date (truthfully we had ordered two since the first time I accidentally ordered it with just my initials...oops). After he sat it down for about the fifth time in a row, I explained to him how important it was for him to carry that down the aisle because it was what held our wedding rings (of course, he was actually carrying fake rings, but he didn’t need to know that). At this point, he looked at the wood in his hands then looked back at me and rolled his eyes, while sarcastically pointing out, “It’s a tree.” So it was. 




Our wedding processional was about as normal as most, filled with crying kids, me blubbering like a fool at the first sight of my bride, and of course, the presence of a big blow up unicorn in the background. 

The ceremony went on without a hitch with me being forced to promise that I would wash my feet whenever requested (without pouting) while my wife was forced to promise that she would be ok with me taking a bubble bath every night of the week. 


Now that the wedding ceremony was over and the rain had stopped, it was time to go outside for pictures. I guess this is a good time to mention that I caught an awful cold just days before our wedding and it hit its peak the day of. Thank God for the magic of make up and good photography to hide that. It did make for some really good pictures though since most of the pictures where my wife was laughing, it was because the photographers and I were joking about me spreading my germs to her through all of the snot escaping from my nose. 




It was now time for the actual reason people go to weddings - the reception. As a former dancer, it was my wife’s idea to interrupt our first dance with a choreographed dance. As an absolute child still stuck in the early 2000s, it was my idea to have said dance be “We’re all in this Together” from High School Musical. Given the fact that I was never a dancer and have all the moves of an awkward white girl, I’d say it went pretty well. That is if you ignore the fact that I was always about two beats behind and may have fallen flat on my butt halfway through.


The rest of the reception was what you would expect - lots of dancing, lots of drunk idiots, and lots of drunk idiots dancing with a blow up unicorn. At that point nothing could ruin my night - not my wife making us lose our milkshake from the ice cream truck because she insisted on trying to find a way to get out onto the little island in the middle of a pond at our wedding venue or even our drunk friend sitting down on all twelve extra meals we had due to people not showing up to the wedding. 


Alright, so maybe our wedding day wasn’t picture perfect, but you know what? It was perfect to me. People told us that it goes way too fast and you need to enjoy every moment because you’ll never get it back and they were right. 

If I could relive that day every single day for the rest of my life, I would highly consider it. The only thing that would stop me is how much I am looking forward to all of our crazy adventures to follow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TuesGay Spotlight: Cheyenne Blue

Writing My Own Story

Throwback Thursday: Look Honey! It’s My Wedding Dress!